For Students

The instructions, my dears, are relatively simple.

1. Register for, and create, your own edublog.
  2. Play with the edublog until you are satisfied enough with it to share it with other people.
  3. Then email me with the URL – if you are a current student of mine, I will add you to my blog roll.
  4. Make sure to check back periodically for writing assignments for your own blog.  You are, of course, welcome to write in or otherwise edit your blog outside of class.
  5. Read other blogs from your class.  Comment.  Engage in discussion.  Enrich your learning experience with online publication.

Easy, right?  If you have any questions, drop me a line!

There are a few guidelines that I would like you to keep in mind to ensure that all students have a safe and happy learning experience in the online world.  Though I’m not worried that you’ll behave appropriately, I figured I’d post some information here as a reminder.

1. Realize that doing something on the ‘net is no different than acting in the classroom. Treat the edublog space (or the wikispace) as though it were actual classroom space and act accordingly.  Be respectful towards one another.  Do not use inappropriate language.  Keep work school oriented.
  2. Never EVER give out or record personal information to the Internet.  None.  Be aware of the fact that just about anyone can see anything you publish to the web – whether it’s private or not.  Do not record information that you would not want strangers to know about you.  Do not record information about people other than yourself without their permission.  Do not record first and last names.  If you must, use initials.
  3. What you write may be out there.  Forever.  Do not write, talk about, or otherwise use this space to do anything that reflects on you or your classmates poorly.  (How much high school drama has started because one person said something about someone else on a social networking site?  Don’t use this space to gossip or bully others, and we’re all good.)
  4. What you write may be out there, part deux.  Do not use sloppy writing or grammar – people, especially your teacher, will judge you.  Present yourself well and always put your best foot, physical or digital, forward.  (Actually, that rule goes for anything you do on the internet.  Behave yourself – we see you.)
  5. Make sure your writing is factual – double check your sources.  You do not want to be responsible for the dissemination of rumors or falsehoods.  Likewise, be aware of copyright laws.  Do not plagiarize or otherwise steal things from other people.  To be safe, make sure that you always cite your sources and that you always give credit where credit is due.

In other words, “act like you got some sense” and this will go great!  If you have any questions about any of these instructions, or if you’re worried that you might be on the borderline, ask always.